Sunday 3 March 2013

Amulet Elf King Mask


World book day is upon us and as usual a mad dash to create an outfit for the kids, my son loves the Amulet series from scholastic press and whilst not really a book more comic book it was the catalyst to get him reading independently and enjoying reading.  One of the characters is the Elf King who is a really evil baddie.  His most notable feature is a mask with no eyes.








To make this in usual Sunday panic I raided some old PC packing and found black foam polystyrene
 1. I drew a quick sketch and then overlaid on top of the foam with paper glue so I could peal it off. .

2. I then cut out the shape with tabs on the sides and on top to fit a strap to keep it on my sons head. 

3. I then used a hot knife to cut out the pencil lines not trying to cut too deep just enough to create an indent. When finished I found some white emulsion that made it look like stone.

4. I made a set of ears that were just triangle folded and clipped with staples. I then found some rubber insulation which made a good strap. As the Elf king has these lines on the mask I was able to create two slits so my son could see out but you couldn't see the slits. I then adjusted the straps so he could see out and then clipped them in place. 





No comments: